Sunday, February 20, 2011

Super Simple Easy Pillows

Tim talked us into gettting rid of his bed and putting a futon in his room.  His cover is plain black.  I told him that I would make him some throw pillows to add some color to the futon. 

First of all, I refuse to pay $15-$20 for pillow forms for a teenagers room that allows his black lab to lay on his bed.  Enough said...  So, I purchased regular bed pillows at Wal-Mart for $2.50 each.  I cut the length down to 20" to make a 20' square. Pulled some of the stuffing out, and sewed it shut... Created my own pillow form  for $2.50 each.  YEAH


I had  purchased some great Marcus Fabric a while ago. I cut 4 20"in squares but I cut them on the fold, so I only had 3 open sides.  I was going to make these an envelope closure on the back but decided, I just wanted something simple, so just made them Easy Pillows. 

With right side together I pinned them along 2 sides and part of 3rd side, I left about a 10" opening between the corners.  So, I sewed down one side, done the 2nd side, and down part of the 3rd side. Started to sew again on the 3rd side to the end.
I trimmed the corners, to make sharp corners. Turned right side out.  I pressed the opening to the inside. This step will help when you stitch closed.  I then worked my pillow form into the opening. Be patient or you will rip your stitches.  After you have the pillow form in, using pins, pin closed with several pins.  I then hand stitched the opening closed. 



Timmy and I love how the turned out and they were so easy to make. And since they were cheap to make, I won't care when I see Pearl, the black lab, laying on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment